View Single Post
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Report: Rashard Officially Opts Out

Sonics' Lewis reportedly opts for free agency

Quote:
In late February, Rashard Lewis rejected a two-year, $25 million contract extension from the Seattle SuperSonics. Months later, Lewis has totally rejected the Sonics.

According to KRIV in Houston, Lewis has officially opted out of the final two years of his contract on Friday so he can become an unrestricted free agent.

Tony Dutt, Lewis' agent, has made Seattle aware of his client's decision.

"He has decided to opt out and he'll be an unrestricted free agent July 1st," Dutt said, according to KRIV. "We had to do it in writing which we have done already."

Lewis, who has spent his entire nine-year NBA career with the Sonics, opted out of the seven-year, $60M deal he signed before the 2003-2004 season. That means Lewis is walking away from $21M in guaranteed money over the next two years.

"I think it was pretty simple at this point. He's an elite player. He'll be the top free agent in the NBA this summer. I think it will be extremely crazy July 1st. I really feel like he fits everywhere. I would imagine that everybody is going to be coming after him," Dutt said.

The 6-foot-10 forward is coming off a career-best year. Lewis averaged 22.4 points and 6.6 rebounds a game last season.

"He's excited. At the same time he wants to win. He puts in the time himself and he wants his teammates to do the same. He's just looking for an opportunity, whether he stays in Seattle or if he was to move, to be in a situation where he has an opportunity to win every night,"
Dutt said.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ally_opts_out/

Last edited by Windmill360; 05-25-2007 at 10:30 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote