Thread: Big man
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2002, 01:00 PM   #31
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Fair enough to question how much Mutombo's game has diminished, and whether there will be bigger dropoffs in the next couple of years. But it's missing the point to suggest that his offensive contribution would be a net negative--Big D would be coming to Big D for Big Defensive purposes.

While the team would probably have to make some offensive adjustments to take advantage of his abilities, they ALREADY NEED to make some offensive adjustments to become a more consistent threat when teams slow the tempo down and attack them with a halfcourt game (ie, the playoffs). I don't think it would hurt the Mavericks in the big picture to slow down and control the ball a little more. I think part of their turbo-pace last year was an attempt to try to compensate for defensive deficiencies.

If they could pick up Mutombo and say....Harpring, the production they'd be losing from the 5 position (which was LaF's minimal contribution) they'd gain at the 3. I'd rather have a big guy like Mutombo at 7.2/260 doing the pick setting and offensive board crashing than a smaller guy like Nájera, and I'd rather have a player with a decent outside shot like Harpring doing the 3-point heaves than have my 5 out at the arc.

IMO, the Mavericks' low-post game needs to be focused on Dirk at the 4, but remain flexible enough for him to move outside from time to time. Mutombo becomes a high post player, or a weak side screener, and Harping (or some other 3) is an outside threat. It's far from clear that this would make the Mavs a less potent or a less effective offensive team.

A couple of things about LaF--

First, I wish that Nellie (and fans) would give up the fantasy that he's going to be able to draw Shaq (or Vlade..or Oliver Miller, for that matter) away from the basket with his outside shooting. LaF doesn't have that kind of skill offensively, and I see not one glimmer of potential to suggest that he'd be able to develop it consistently. (Read this and prove me wrong, Raefster.)

Second, he is not nor will he ever be a premier defensive player or physical inside presence (shot-blocking statistics be damned), and it is precisley this area that is the key to how realistically the Mavericks will challenge for WCF/NBA championship in the next 2-4 years. Mutombo is one option; Kandi is another. LaF is not an option.

Kandi offers more potential, but more risk. Still tough to say whether he really matured last year and will be a consistently high performer, and I think there are more potential chemistry issues with him as well.

Mutombo is more of a known quantity, and while he may be more expensive, he may be more easily acquired. IMO, he can be a top-level defensive anchor for at least a couple of more years, which coincides with the Mavericks' biggest window of opportunity. And he also offers exactly what the Mavericks need (defense) without detracting from their strength (Dirk as a low post threat). Couple his addition with that of Harpring, and I think the Maverick's would be upgraded, and upgraded in the right way.

I don't think these acquisitions are likely, but to the extent that Mavericks make changes, this is the direction that I think would yield the best results over the next 2-4 years.

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote