View Single Post
Old 06-25-2002, 03:04 PM   #46
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< I love the moving Dirk to the 3 for rebounding and offense but I hate it for his defense. He will struggle mightily against quicker 3s in the league.

But then again maybe not... he plays very good d when Bradley's on the court. Maybe with two shotblockers behind him he can be a lot more aggressive with steals and on the ball pressure. It may not be as negative as I thought.. (still think he could be his best as a PF)
>>

The positives far outweigh the negative when you talk about Dirk struggling to guard his man vs. his man struggling to guard him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also, as I've pointed out before in other threads, Dirk is never going to be a guy that we look at as a great (or even good) defender. We just need him to learn and use solid defensive positioning and technique to minimize defensive mistakes. Also, the point about Bradley being on the floor is a great one. Dirk is a lot more aggressive when he has Bradley behind him, and with Raef behind him as well, he'd have double the opportunities to gamble/be more aggressive. Imagine how difficult it would be for most teams to ram the ball down the Mavs' throats with really three shotblockers on the floor. I'm actually very intrigued by that idea. Add a guy like Clark or Olowokandi, and you have yet another shotblocker to throw out there.

I agree that Dirk is best at PF, but what's to say that he can't play that position offensively? Raef certainly has the range to stand out on the perimeter...