View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I've been a Hollinger basher all season, for his very-flawed "statistical" modeling that he uses--but, I have to admit, his power rankings did end up predicting San Antonio as the best team, right?

So this latest article by Hollinger intrigues me. Again it's full of flaws--all backward-looking, no out-of-sample validation, his "notable" names are only those that prove his point, not those that indicate the opposite. Still, there are a few names that pop up pretty high on his rankings of this year's college players who should be available to us at #34 (or even later, in the case of Kyle Visser). His system also things Taurean Green is a dog--a name I've seen linked with the Mavs.

What if, just for the hell of it, the Mavs went along with Hollinger--a kind of "Moneyball" like approach, ignoring traditional scouting in favor of what "the numbers" tell you--and take Fazekas, Strawberry & Visser with their three picks? All three could conceivably be available.

I am going to take note of this and watch those three players for a couple years--regardless of where they land--just to see if there's more than meets the eye here. (note blatant Transformers reference.)
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote