View Single Post
Old 07-10-2007, 09:19 PM   #103
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov
See this is where I am confused, because I thought we could give him a signing bonus on top of the MLE? I read to where it says that we could give him 8% raise each year while signing him to an MLE, but the confusion starts when you try to factor in a signing bonus as well.
First, the bad news. ESPN is reporting the new salary cap, and the MLE. Per ESPN the MLE only came in at $5.356 mil. Over 5 years with 8% raises that projects out to $31.06 mil.

As for the signing bonus, using the $5.356 number the deal would look like this.
$5.356
$5.784
$6.213
$6.641
$7.070
Total $31.065

20% of that could be paid in terms of a signing bonus. That would be $6.213. That bonus gets divided by the number of years, 5, and that amount gets subtracted off of each of the 5 years of the deal. In year 1 Wallace would get paid the bonus, plus the amount of the first year salary minus 1/5 of the bonus. In each of the other years Wallace would get the base amount minus 1/5 of the bonus. That works out like this
$4.113 + $6.213
$4.542
$4.970
$5.399
$5.827
Total $31.065

The above numbers represent what Wallace would actually get paid. Not what his cap figure would be. Even though he gets a bigger chunk of money up front and less on the back end, his cap amount still his the mavs cap as if there was no bonus.

Hope that helps.

Here's the link to ESPN's story about the cap.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932279
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote