View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #18
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Sometimes I think this way, as well. It's like, as it stands, we're not really fighting anyone, we're not really accomplishing anything, but we're expending resources doing it.

And the Iraqi people clearly don't want their country all that badly. Except for the Kurds in the north, they haven't stood up.

The time to do all of this would've been 2004, in my opinion it was clear even then that the Iraqi people couldn't stand themselves up. The US is good at winning fights, not building nations.

Form Kurdistan, fortify the hell out of that border to reward those people for actually having brains, and let the rest go.
I sometimes feel the same way and wish the Iraqis would step up, but then I try to see it from their point-of-view. They have survived for decades by not resisting the group in power or the group rising to power. The majority of Iraqis are not resisting the US, but they are also not resisting the terrorist groups either. From their perspective, how can they know who will be in power in 3 months, a year, or 5 years down the road. These seeds of doubt have been caused by our (the US) lack of public commitment to the effort to rebuild. Apart from the President, very few have steadfastly declared their commitment to Iraq. With the lack of confidence in the US by the Iraqi populous, the situation becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. I realize that there is a lot of room for debate on how to best achieve success (which is fine), but unless we portray a unified front to the world, the best laid plans will fail miserably.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote