View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #29
Henry_VIII

Henry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to allHenry_VIII is a name known to all

An excerpt from Michael Yon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yon
We live far better on base here in Baqubah than many people who are living downtown (though there are some very nice homes), and it’s not all about money. Not at all and not in the least. When Americans move into Iraqi buildings, the buildings start improving from the first day. And then, the buildings near the buildings start to improve. It’s not about the money, but the mindset. The Greatest Generation called it “the can-do mentality.” It’s a wealth measured not only in dollars, but also in knowledge. The burning curiosity that launched the Hubble, flows from that mentality, and so does the revenue stream of taxpayer dollars that funded it. Iraq is very rich in resources, but philosophically it is impoverished. The truest separation between cultures is in the collective dreams of their people.
This mentality difference must be addressed. The Kurds have the "can-do" attitude. I'm sure many of the other Iraqis do too, but collectively it must be fostered even more so. I am disappointed that we are not further in helping them along. However, I must remain optimistic that it can be done, because so much depends upon the Iraqis winning their part of the war.

Last edited by Henry_VIII; 07-26-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Henry_VIII is offline   Reply With Quote