View Single Post
Old 06-28-2002, 03:20 PM   #16
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< I disagree with a characterization of a &quot;flaw&quot;. The risk might be low. I don't know how many scouts there are in the NBA; I don't know how many scouts there are in the NBA that scout internationally. I will assume it is a few; averaging 1 international scout per team max. Now, how many actually see league games night in and night out. Some, but not all. I bet there are scouts at the European Finals and every tournament, but not at every game.

I really do believe that an international player that doesn't attend a pre-draft camp or participate in a major tournament stands a good chance of going undrafted simply out of lack of information. I think that is what happened to Askrebic and this 7-footer. They played, got hurt and were eligible for the draft and didn't actively participate in the draft process. They go undrafted and Whammo. They are free-agents.

This is why I am really on board with Askrabic and the mystery 7-footer, provided we don't blow the mid-level exception on them. The risk is low, regardless, but I really do think there may be some diamonds in the rough.
>>

Maybe flaw isn't the right term, but I use it in the sense of &quot;snags&quot; in drafting the kid. That can be injury, contract staus, etc. And Oggy would've been drafted last year had he not got hurt.

And I agree that we should bring in as much talent as we can w/o using the exemption. You never know with some of these Europeans with little track record (as far as &quot;spotlight&quot. They might just surprise us and we could find a good role player for next year's team.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote