View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 11:11 AM   #40
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that "61 win teams who don't make it past the first round should really look at themselves in the mirror".
But I take it is a matter of course that this team did so.
Just because they haven't made any moves that fans or the media thought were big enough doesn't mean the organization didn't do a self-evaluation.
They must think they stand a good chance to win with what they have now. They might be wrong about that, it's true. But it's not impossible that they're right.

To anyone who thinks that the Mavs should have made more or bigger moves this offseason to address deficiencies than they did:

What would be a measure of Mavs success this season that would lead you to reevaluate your postion and say "huh. Maybe they were right to keep the team intact?" Is a title the only thing that would make you think that? What if the Mavs lose in 7 in the Western Conference Finals this season? Are you still going to maintain that they should have made a major change this past offseason? 61-teams that lose int he first round of the playoffs do indeed need to look at themselves in the mirror. But they also have more to lose by blowing up the team than do 45 win teams that just barely made the playoffs. Making major changes is a risk when you have a 61-win team, and even if you do think it best to break it up to try to improve, you don't want to throw away what makes the team already quite good.

Last edited by DevinFuture; 09-13-2007 at 11:12 AM.
DevinFuture is offline   Reply With Quote