View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #88
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
so, if israel has nukes their enemies are allowed to have nukes?

would iran's enemies then be justified in getting their own nukes?

is any enemy of america justified in developig nukes?

that pretty much tears up the non-proliferation treaty.

the idea is fewer nukes. no new members of the nuclear club allowed.
As long as 1 country has them, any country can justify having them as a matter of defense.
I'm all for fewer nukes. A real non-proliferation treaty would work toward the disarming of all of them. But you can't expect a country with a nuclear neighbor not to pursue them while there are still other nukes out there. That would be like asking the U.S. to disarm all its nukes now, while there are still others out there.
When you use the word "allow," you've already stepped outside of being able to see the problem. As long as there is one country or a few countries with nukes that are doing the allowing, any rogue nation has plenty justification for pursuing nukes.

Edit: In my view there is a need for international agreement to disarm them all. And once that process is proceeding with an end in sight, then there is real authority to prevent any new nation from developing them.

Last edited by DevinFuture; 09-16-2007 at 04:09 PM.
DevinFuture is offline   Reply With Quote