View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default What are the Cavs doing?

You've got to wonder how important the Cavs believe Pavlovic and Varejao are to the future of the team. Both of these guys played big minutes last year when the Cavs went to the Finals, so I would think that they would have put forth more efffort in signing at least one of these guys. Even though in the end they will likely play for the Cavs this season, it seems to me that next year when they become unrestricted free agents they are going to bolt. Are the Cavs dumb or are these two guys just not very good?

Monday, September 24, 2007
Branson Wright
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Cavaliers begin training camp next week, and they still have not signed restricted free agents Sasha Pavlovic and Anderson Varejao.

The Cavs and Pavlovic are so far apart on a deal - according to Marc Cornstein, Pavlovic's agent - that Pavlovic may decide to play in Europe.

"That's something we have to explore," Cornstein said. "European teams have larger budgets, and the Euro is strong. I'm not doing my job if we don't explore all options."

There are reports that Dan Fegan, Varejao's agent, also will explore overseas options.

Since Varejao and Pavlovic are restricted free agents, the Cavs can match any offer sheet presented to either player. There's also the possibility of a sign-and-trade. Both could play this season on a one-year tender offer and become unrestricted free agents next summer.

That sounds unlikely for Pavlovic.

"Sasha has no intentions of signing a qualifying offer," Cornstein said. "Sasha had a good season. He became one of the core players that helped Cleveland get to the Finals. What we're looking for is not an unreasonable amount."