View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playof...ory?id=3065339

Red Sox slugger Ortiz says he faces offseason surgery

By Enrique Rojas
ESPNdeportes.com
(Archive)

Updated: October 16, 2007, 1:44 AM ET

* Comment
* Email
* Print

CLEVELAND -- David Ortiz almost quit the American League Championship Series between Boston and Cleveland due to an injured knee, the Dominican slugger told ESPNdeportes.com on Monday.

David Ortiz
Ortiz

Designated Hitter
Boston Red Sox

2007 Season Stats GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
149 35 117 116 .445 .332

"After Saturday's game, my right knee was so swollen that I feared I wouldn't play again for the rest of the series," Ortiz said before going 1-for-3 as the Red Sox lost 4-2 on Monday to fall into a 2-1 hole in the ALCS.

"I spent Sunday in bed, taking medications. It looked really bad," Ortiz said.

Ortiz indicated that he will undergo surgery as soon as the season is over. He has taken a cortisone shot in order to be able to make it through the ALCS, but would rather not face the needle again for the World Series.

"I'm a very traditional man. I'd rather drink some tea than take cortisone," Ortiz joked.

This season has been injury-plagued for Ortiz, who has dealt with back and shoulder problems. Still, he managed to hit .332 with 35 home runs, 52 doubles, 117 RBIs, 116 runs scored and 111 walks.

In the division series against the Los Angeles Angels, he went 5-for-7 with two home runs. He drove in three runs and walked six times to help the Red Sox sweep in three games.

Ortiz has reached base 19 out of 26 times in the postseason and equaled an all-time record by getting on base 10 consecutive times between Game 3 of the division series and Game 2 of the ALCS.

So he's trying to fight through the injury.

"When one has been playing this game for a long time, you learn to deal with pain," Ortiz said. "This is no time for crying. But I really want this season to be over to undergo knee surgery."
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote