View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #19
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marbury Threatens Thomas, Dolan, Knicks

Stephon Marbury threatens to dish info about Isiah Thomas

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, November 14th 2007, 4:00 AM

The rift between Isiah Thomas and Stephon Marbury has exploded as the guard bolts the Knicks for home and threatens to reveal 'stuff' on his coach.

PHOENIX - Stephon Marbury was 30,000 feet in the air on Monday when he learned that his run with the Knicks was about to crash and burn.

The controversial point guard went AWOL yesterday, casting his future with the club in doubt and placing the Knicks in a state of chaos after only five games. The Daily News has learned that Marbury made his decision to return to home to New York once he was informed on the charter plane Monday afternoon that he would not be starting against the Phoenix Suns.

According to a person close to the team, Marbury's air rage began when Eddy Curry, following a conversation with Isiah Thomas, told Marbury that he and Marbury were being pulled from the starting lineup against the Suns.

Upon hearing that he would back up second-year guard Mardy Collins, Marbury marched toward the front of the plane to meet with Thomas. Five minutes later, an enraged Marbury told his teammates that if he wasn't starting he wouldn't suit up for the game. But it was something else Marbury said that stunned his teammates in the back of the luxury plane.

"Isiah has to start me," Marbury fumed, according to the source. "I've got so much (stuff) on Isiah and he knows it. He thinks he can (get) me. But I'll (get) him first. You have no idea what I know."

It is unclear if Marbury made the same threat directly to Thomas, whose first big move as team president was trading for Marbury. But clearly, the Marbury-Thomas war is officially underway and it promises to get uglier. Early yesterday, Marbury and a friend boarded a plane and returned to New York. Marbury, 30, could conceivably fly to Los Angeles today and rejoin the Knicks for tonight's game against the Clippers. Marbury faces a fine and suspension for every game he misses.

"It seems like he and I kinda go through this every November," Thomas said. "And then a couple of weeks go by and we kinda kiss and make up and we get back to the business of trying to win basketball games. Hopefully, in the next couple of days this will be resolved."

Marbury didn't show up for yesterday's morning shootaround on the same day The News reported that Thomas and Garden chairman James Dolan had been in discussions about reducing Marbury's role with the idea of eventually severing ties with the former All-Star.

Two media outlets reported that Marbury sent them text messages to say he had Thomas' permission to leave the team. The Knicks would not comment on the reports.

Marbury is scheduled to earn $42million through next season, so a trade seems out of the question. A buyout is a possibility since Dolan has given lucrative severance packages to Scott Layden, Don Chaney, Lenny Wilkens, Larry Brown, Shandon Anderson, Maurice Taylor and Jerome Williams. Thomas denied that the Knicks are looking to either trade or release Marbury.

"That is an in-house matter and we will continue to keep it in-house," Thomas said. "Make no mistake about it - we do want him as a member of this basketball team. He is welcomed back."

For years, Thomas has been Marbury's strongest advocate, always siding with him whenever Marbury feuded with teammates or coaches. But their relationship was strained this summer after Marbury acted in a bizarre manner during several television interviews. Also, Marbury's testimony during the Anucha Browne Sanders sexual harassment trial reflected poorly on Thomas, who was eventually found liable in the case.

The trial revealed what those around the team already knew - that it was Marbury's show and whatever antics he pulled, he always had Thomas' blessing. But Marbury's testimony and Dolan's testimony damaged Thomas' case and now Thomas is the one whose public image has taken a beating.

Thomas is under the microscope more than ever, and his decision to remove Marbury from the starting lineup looks like an act of desperation as well as a case of trying to use Marbury as a scapegoat.

Marbury is still a better starting point guard than either Collins or Nate Robinson. Thomas said Marbury can regain his starting job as long as he does the "things I want him to do."

"We need leadership from that position and we also need defense, and those are two things that he is definitely capable of doing," Thomas said. "When he returns that's what I expect from him. I expect him to lead from that position and I expect him to defend from that position. Those are the only two things I require from that position."

Last edited by Jack.Kerr; 11-14-2007 at 07:32 AM.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote