View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #35
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I consider Bonds' records legitimate because there are so many factors that affect these things that you just have to take them as they stand. The game changes constantly. As some stated, baseball wasn't integrated when Ruth played. Then again, there were only a relative handful of teams then anyway. Pitchers didn't throw as hard, bats were heavier, everything was different.

But that's a completely different issue than Bonds' legal problems. Steroids are dangerous, and illegal, and the majority of fans don't want them affecting the game. The feds have every right to bust illegal suppliers and investigate baseball, just like they busted crooked game shows and any number of other high-profile people and institutions that are skirting the law.

I think Bonds suffers the brunt of this unfairly, as it looks like dozens and dozens of players were taking steroids with the tacit approval of baseball. But the perjury charges aren't related to that. If he didn't want to face charges, he should have taken the fifth. But he was too interested in protecting his reputation. Although I'm not sure, I would think that federal prosecutors generally pursue cases of likely perjury at federal trials. The one question I do have is whether or not they will go after Palmeiro, who, if memory served, clearly claimed he had never done steroids before congress right before he tested positive.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote