View Single Post
Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #423
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
If that is not enough, then consider that there have been opposing QB's and TE's that have either directly or indirectly stated that they are looking for 31 in coverage because they know that is the best way to beat our secondary. I have heard several media personalities mention the same thing as well. It's gotten to the point where it is very surprising to me to hear anyone defend his coverage skills.
I've heard the same ramblings from the media. You're not getting any defense from me about Roy's coverage. What i'm saying is what's better out there? What is out there to replace Roy because it sure isn't on this team unless you you want move Anthony Henry to one of the safety spots and draft a corner in the draft next off-season. When Henry and Newman get we should see Roy at the line more often. Our corners aren't there yet. Wade Phillips said his plan was to have Roy play more towards the line this year. Due to the injury of the cornerbacks i'm hoping that plan was post poned.

Quote:
BTW, one of those is Jason Witten. Thankfully, Roy doesn't have to worry about facing him in a game. But, the others are Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates, Kellen Winslow, and Jeremy Shockey. Of which, Roy has only faced and gotten torched by Shockey.
So what does it say about every other safety in the league than if 5 tight ends can crack the top 20 in recieving yards? We're expecting something we just aren't going to get out of Roy. He is what he is. He's never been great in coverage. Even in college he was a threat playing more close to the line than in coverage. Now we expect for him to be Ed Reed? He's a different type of safety.

Quote:
And yes, I personally would take my chances with Watkins at FS and Hamlin at SS. I realize that Watkins has had his breakdowns in coverage, but he has the excuse of being young that Roy doesn't have. For that reason, I would give Watkins the opportunity to start.
Ahh...I don't know I think this team knows exactly what they have in Pat Watkins. He had 5 interceptions last year as a rookie and they still felt the need to upgrade by going after Ken Hamlin.

Quote:
I am very happy that we are 9-1, but I am looking forward to the future and cringing at the thought of 31 in coverage in a big game such as the one coming up against GB. What happens if the Cowboys make it to the SB and face the Pats? I don't want Roy in that kind of game. He would get torched. I would rather start Watkins now and find out what he can bring to the table compared to Roy to see if he is really an improvement or not. We could still use Roy at the linebacker spot in the nickel or dime, but I am still not convinced he is an asset there either.
The only guys that have been torching Roy are the full backs and tight ends. I'd take Watson and whoever starts for the Pats at fullback over Moss, Welker and Stallworth killing us. At this point if the Cowboys do make it to the Super Bowl and face the Pats its going to be a shoot out. All we can hope is that we can win a shoot-out against those guys because there's no stopping them at this point. You could add Ed Reed and subtract Roy and the Pats would still find a way to score against us.

At this point in the season we know what we have in Roy. I'm not expecting him to be good in coverage because he won't be. Still I think he's a threat playing closer to the line and i'm a bit optimistic on seeing how this team does once Henry and Newman start to get their leg's back. Jacque Reeves has had the experience as a starter so that should be an upgrade at the nickel corner spot. Let's just let the season play out before we right off our coverage team. They haven't been good this season but it isn't just all on Roy's shoulders. Hamlin is coming off a bad game as well.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote