View Single Post
Old 12-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #54
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Come on, think about what you are saying. Do you really expect a 7 footer to take the ball at the 3point line and drive around a point guard?? It's ridiculous.

Dude, what are you talking about, my example? I just used that specific example because I have seen it several times recently not because that is how I expect him to score all of his points. You are smarter than that man...

Nor COULD a 7footer on the wing dribble through a double team.

Again, when did I say anything about driving through a double team? Please tell me where man? I said he should step up and SHOOT when he gets the guy in the air, which happens A LOT. That was one example though. Another is him catching the ball and waiting for the double to come prior to PASSING. He needs to catch and move. Catch and drive and get fouled by the guy coming to double. Catch and shoot rather than waiting. HE IS NOT BEING AGGRESSIVE - THIS ISN'T HARD TO SEEDUDE!

Nor SHOULD anyone take shots when they are being double-teamed, it's bad basketball.

Sigh... Read above

So either dirk needs to be put into a position where he is singled up against a guy his size or he's placed closer to the basket so that he can just shoot over the guy. Teams used to try and play dirk straight up and then wait for him in the lane. Now they double him immediately and force the ball out of his hands. We don't have 3pt shooters on this team worth a damn but a bunch of folks who make their own shots.
So when dirk kicks it out (unless it's to jason) it becomes another pass around the horn or a bricked shot.

Yeah, Dirk is being played differently and for this team's sake he needs to figure out how to be effective under that scenario. Part of that is Avery, sure, but I am not an idiot that thinks that this team's sole issue is defense, (sorry Flac), or Avery. Dirk hasn't been Dirk since late last season and his ass needs to step up. I love the guy and will if he never brings us a ring but he is playing timid, scared, and he needs to get that fire in his eyes like we have all seen him do. I know his shot isn't falling and his confidence is low, but he is a rhythm shooter so he needs to friggin shoot. Trust me, a double can NOT get there fast enough if he catches, turns, and shoots his patented fade away jumpshot. They simply can't. So make excuses all you want. Pass blame all you want. But a GREAT DEAL of this falls on the shoulders of our only real superstar.

It seems to be a fundamentally flawed offense. Even if Dirk WERE Tim Duncan, Josh/Stack/Devin would be clanking three pointers instead of making them at the high clip that the spurs do.

Sure, consistent 3pt threats would lessen the amount of double teams Dirk gets, but he could still be more aggressive and beat the double-team. He could also re-post and demand the ball like we have seen him do many times in the past.

We have not figured out how to:
- Get the ball to dirk with a single player for a shot, unless it's at the 3point line.
- Make the team pay for doubling him. (This seems to be the biggest problem).

Dirk gets the ball plenty with a double coming to him and without. It isn't like he gets doubled every single time he touches the ball - surely you aren't suggesting that. This offense is definitely flawed and Avery could help this more but Dirk is the primary one to blame IMO. He is the leader of this team, whether he wants to be or not. We have too much talent to be 12-7.
See posts above.