View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Good thread, BBL. I've made living a healthier lifestyle a very big priority in my life over the last six months or so, so it's definitely interesting to see what other folks are doing in terms of their diet and exercise.

I'm 32 and I stand just over 6-3 (almost 6-4) in height and have a large, strong frame, and as of this morning, weigh 228 lbs. I'm currently pretty darned happy about that figure because as recently as the end of last June my weight crept up to about 265 (which made me look somewhat overweight, but like BBL, my big frame and height mitigates that effect), and I've spent a lot of time and effort in both changing my eating habits and more significantly working out intensively on a daily basis. I'm currently striving to drive my body fat down to around 7-8 % (I know that's low, but as long as I'm making the effort, why not go all the way down?), which will find me weighing somewhere around 210-215, and then I am going to have to remain diligent in maintaining that body fat %, and also judiciously begin lifting weights aggressively again in order to add significant muscle mass (something that has never been difficult for me) without bulking up too much or putting too much strain on my back, knees, or ankles.

Currently, I play basketball in the early morning 4-5 times a week, I bike to school and work everyday in the metro downtown Houston area (call it about 5-10 miles of road biking daily), I never do less than 1/2 an hour of high intensity work on the elliptical trainer for six out the seven days of the week (I always take either Sat. or Sun. off, but never both), I have slowly built up a habit of doing progressively more push-ups and sit-ups everyday, so that I now never do less than 300 of each on most days, I do moderate weight lifting three times a week, whenever I have extra time at the gym I do ball handling drills and shoot jumpers before doing the elliptical or lifting, and I've recently started doing plyometric jumping exercises in a probably deluded hope that I can get close to dunking again. I know that sounds like a lot, but I'm usually able to fit most of it in by working out very early in the morning (I often show up around 5 AM), and then stopping by for shorter visits in the afternoon, so even when my schedule becomes very demanding, I'm able to make time for the workouts in a non-disruptive way (as long as I get to bed early, that is).

As for the diet component of what I am doing... I don't really like sweets, so sugar and chocolate consumption aren't difficult for me to moderate, but I am a big guy who likes big portions of hearty food and I love to cook, so basically I've been eating large amounts of lean meats (I live on round roasts, sirloin steaks, and boneless, skinless chicken breasts) along with low/no fat carbohydrates like rice, potatoes, corn, and homemade breads. As long as I restrict the fats in my diet by cooking lean foods and avoiding cheeses, and continue to faithfully execute my workout regimin, I find that I can still eat large, good meals, and still expect to lose 1-2 lbs of fat every week. And as a matter of fact, I also believe that if I restricted my diet to rabbit foods, juniper berries, and whey, or restricted myself to 7 oz dinner portions, as some folks seem to do when dieting, instead of eating large amounts of lean meats and potatoes, I wouldn't have the energy to be able to work out as much or as effectively as I currently do, and I would be commensurately less healthy.

Good luck on your resolution BBL (and anyone else reading who has made a similar one), and just for the heck of it, I'll probably post an update or two in coming weeks if I drop another 10 lbs and jump on boxes enough to maybe become capable of dunking again ...

Last edited by Evilmav2; 01-03-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote