View Single Post
Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 PM   #295
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
entertaining stuff....

Pillars of Prosperity

450 pages plus of Dr. Paul's writings, congressional speeches and debates on economic policy.

to make a little confession here - prior to his campaign I'd never read much of anything on economics by Dr. Paul nor had I listened to him speak on the subject at length detail....but....

...and it's a big but....

I've long recognized Dr. Paul as student of the austrian school of thought on economics. This orientation sets him apart from from every mainstream establishment thinker and politician on the planet. Monetarist and Keynsian assumptions are so deeply emedded in the mainstream dialogue that anyone who does not begin with these assumptions is typically deemed a kook, rather than as one who has considered and rejected (false!?) assumptions....

anyhoo -- a look at the breadth and depth of his economic thinking shows that that Dr. Paul is no kook - his economic IQ is extremely high. I would argue that it easily rivals any other senator, governor, and of course mayor in the country.
I bought this book the other day... a few major takeaways from the first 70 pages

1. He is freakishly consistent, 1978 - present.
2. He is prone to hyperbole about coming crises - he's strongly grounded in logic, but tends to accelerate the timeline. The things that Ron said in 1984 would happen in 1994 may in fact happen in 2014.
3. He has authored highly ideological legislation (that should surprise no one), but he's also authored very pragmatic legislation working within the constraints of current programs & departments existing that he'd prefer not exist (may be a surprise to some).

Interesting reading for sure.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote