View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 09:35 PM   #367
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
This isn't about assist numbers, it's about court vision. And quite frankly, Harris doesn't have it. You don't just suddenly develop it either. We already know that Nash was playing severely injury and confidence issues at that point. He also wasn't playing with a lot of scoring talent around him at that point. Nash was a slow developer, but it was always clear that Nash had court vision and creativity.

Watch Harris play. I like the kid, but it's rare to find him make an amazing pass to a guy way out of the play. He's not great at penetrating and dishing. And when he does do it, it often looks pretty forced, like you could tell he was going into the lane for that purpose. I don't understand why it's outrageous to say the guy lacks the vision of a Jason Kidd. If you really think he is going to average 10 assists a game, you are kidding yourself.
I agree with this. However, Kidd's greatest strengths do not match this team. He is at his best with a running team. The Mavs are the complete opposite. He's the best rebounding PG in basketball, mainly defensive boards. The Mavs have no problems in this area.

Kidd is still a good enough player that despite the poor fit skills-wise, he would still make this team better, I think. However, he would not make it enough better to justify the sacrifice of additional players, and the sacrifice of the future.

Devin Harris may not have great court vision, but he's going to be an above average PG in this league for a lot of years, and has a chance to be special.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote