View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
skylive321

skylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really niceskylive321 is just really nice

nice thoughts from a fan
Why do we even need to make a trade? As of tonight, aren't we 2nd in the west, first in the division, and a game and a half up on the Spurs? So why blow it up right? That's the mentality we've (the organization, maybe not some of us on here) have had since our 67 win season and supposed fluke playoff exit right?

Everyone is talking Kidd, Miller, CM, etc, but why? Here is my take on it.

We are stagnant. Anyone who has watched us play as of late, really can't honestly say we've seen the same intensity we saw last year. That's why we haven't dominated this year, that's why nobody talks about us being a huge threat in the playoffs right now, but we only get brought up in trade talks. (which is getting old by the way)

Are we worse off this year than last talent wise? No.

Are the Lakers, Suns Jazz, and Spurs necessarily better talent wise than us? No.

So what's going to be the difference as we approach the playoffs? I mean, to this point in the season, we all are playing within 2.5 games with each other?

The difference will be that all of these teams have something new and exciting confidence (and talent wise depending on your opinion) wise going for them now, except us. That is, if we stay as is. We know the Spurs fall back on the fact that they year-in, year-out play better in the 2nd half of the season, and have the trophies to prove it. Phx, Jazz, and Lakers all may or may not be better talent wise (well, the Lakers are obviously better talent wise, but time will tell with Phx and even the Jazz), but the key thing more so than talent they may or may not have all acquired, is that all these teams are more excited than ever to go out and ball night-in and night-out.

Do you sense that same excitement with the Mavs? I think we have stretches of it here and there, but not to the extent that we see these other teams have about them because of their recent transactions. To me, all the trade talks with the Mavs have discouraged them. Not to the point where it's a chemistry issue, but to the point where everyone is just lukewarm right now.

I think a simple trade like the one bluefish proposes in the triple double comments, (the one that DOESN'T include TT) or one for Miller, (who I think if he has a big game against us tonight, we could see his name now come up as a realistic option for the front office to look at) will light a fire under that player(s) who is brought in and the rest of this teams butt. Only because we did SOMETHING, even though not much, to help improve ourselves for the second half of the season. Look at Utah, they added Krover, and he and the team have rallied off some great basketball as of late, and have come back from 10th in the west to 4th. All in all, a trade would MENTALLY make this team better. Because now all the players can do is what everyone else get excited and pumped up, and hear their names be talked about in potential rumors.

But a total make over trade (like the Kidd deal) is unnecessary. We lose too many key players in that deal (most notably Stack and Harris). If Harris leaves, I feel as though this will result into another Nash scenario (minus the mvps most likely) where everyone will have to come up with all the justifications on why we HAD to do it. (much like Phx will do if they don't win it ALL this year)

What do you ya'll think? Anyone really see different?
skylive321 is offline   Reply With Quote