View Single Post
Old 03-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #202
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I would ignore these people in real life too - they're not interested in having a discussion, they're interested in making absurd claims for the sake of getting a rise out of people... From what I've read, none of them have anything to offer in the way of serious basketball discussion - they just spout baseless (<---key word) opinions as fact...

Why raise my blood pressure over infuriating comments when that's exactly what they want me to do? Sure, I could read what they say & choose to ignore their words, but MY WEAKNESS is that I can't ignore them - I care too much about the subject matter... It's not like I put them on "ignore" because I don't agree with them - I do so because they won't acknowledge reason, despite how many facts, statistics or good sense people use...

Why bang my head against a wall when I can turn my attention to posts that are actually relevant to the topic at hand? Ignoring these 3 people helps me from getting distracted by pettiness and increases my enjoyability on this site (and yes, one of the reasons I participate in this forum is to enjoy myself...)

Anyways, I'm sure U2 appreciates me ignoring them rather than having to edit my replies...
That's well reasoned. But it still seems weak-minded. I'm sure we would all love to live in a world that reasoned exactly as we do. Sadly, I don't think any of us is going to get that. Rather, we are going to have to live in a world where a number of people see things well differently than we do. Pretending they don't exist doesn't seem to me like a productive way to make sense of it all.

Something more along the lines of "know thy enemy" makes sense to me. But as always...chacun a son gout..
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote