View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #5
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
It promises to be an emotional scene when a couple of former Mavericks return Saturday night to American Airlines Center as New Jersey Nets. The expected outpouring for Devin Harris and Gana Diop, two integral parts of the team’s success over the last several years, is warranted.

“They played their hearts out every time they stepped on the court for this organization, so I wish them luck for the future,” Dirk Nowitzki said Friday after practice. “Hopefully the fans will give them a warm welcome. I think they deserve it after what they’ve done here for these couple years. It will be good to see them and hopefully they have a good game, but the Mavericks can win."

Michael Finley and Steve Nash received standing ovations during their first trips back even though their respective teams, the Suns and Spurs, are bitter rivals. Harris and Diop weren’t part of the franchise’s renaissance earlier this decade, but they helped take the Mavs to the NBA Finals just two summers ago.

Harris and Diop were shipped to New Jersey, along with Trenton Hassell and Moe Ager, as part of the mammoth Jason Kidd on Feb. 19. The Mavs (39-23) are 4-5 since, including a three-game losing streak going into the Nets’ lone visit this season.

The five losses – New Orleans, San Antonio, LA Lakers, Utah and Houston – are against teams ahead of the Mavs in the Western Conference. In the frustrating 113-98 loss Thursday to the Rockets, the Mavs were buried in the third quarter.

Avery Johnson wasn’t happy with much the day after, whether it was post defense or pick-and-roll defense or ball movement or simply being passive when the game was decided. Johnson’s only bright spot? Antoine Wright, who scored seven in the fourth with the game out of reach.

Johnson actually had players run suicide sprints at practice after committing turnovers. He watched the Rockets take the ball to the basket at will in the third quarter, a strategy lacking from his bunch.

“We’ve got to swing the ball more and be more persistent – a big word – be more persistent about driving,” Johnson said. “When you’re driving and get cut off, don’t give up. Keep trying to drive.”

Harris has continued to drive since changing uniforms and has looked sharp since coming back from his foot injury. Diop’s playing time has fluctuated, much as it did with the Mavs.

“They’re happy to be playing and having an opportunity to play,” Josh Howard said his former teammates. “I’m happy that they are, but I know I miss the city.”

Howard has spoken to several times to his former teammates. He expects them to be sufficiently motivated, but said that’s not what this game is all about.

“Those guys are doing what they have to do,” he said. “It’s a job. I could have easily been one of those guys that got traded, but after a while you have to job and that’s what they’re doing.”

Howard and his current teammates are plenty motivated to end their skid and build some momentum with 20 games left in the regular season. Houston snapped the Mavs’ 12-game home winning streak.

“We have to protect our home court,” Howard said. “We had a rough loss last night. We can’t let those guys come in here and beat us. That’ll give them extra bragging rights.”
http://www.nba.com/mavericks/news/Notebook_030708.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote