View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLord
While I agree with much of your analysis, I depart company on both the core cause and the cure you name. You think the players have reverted, and it will take a massive roster change. I disagree completely.

I think the players are - for the most part - still incredibly capable of doing the "right things" to win big here. But I think that, for certain reasons, the coaching that tells those players "how we want it done" has regressed significantly.
Nice stuff and agreed.. I also think the players know this in their heart, they like avery and say the right things, but they do not think he's got "it" anymore. They'll do what he says because that's what players do, but they won't do it with complete confidence. So they are hesitant about it and that's a killer.

Only quibble I would have is that we have gotten older in almost all backup positions and that is a problem. They don't stay healthy, they don't have the energy needed at crunch time and they are mediocre. He either cannot stand the mistakes or he cannot find a way to have a younger player step up. I liked devin and I like the kidd move, but there is no doubt that we got older and slower with the trade. And to think it was cuban only is impossible imo. It had to have been avery on board with this thing. If for nothing else the way that diop was being used, he wasn't needed.
Quote:
Sure, we continuously hear Avery whine that the players don't attack the basket. But don't be deceived - this is the same coach who complains about the lack of defense while choosing to prioritize minutes for players who lack the ability to play good defense. And you can't just tell a player "drive to the basket more" and get results, unless at the same time you are putting him in position with the ball to be able to get that done. So when Avery says, "We just didn't attack the hoop" don't lose sight of the fact that the coach saying that is playing jump-shooters over rim-attackers and isn't teaching plays to open lanes to the basket. The results are predictable (at least to everyone not named Avery) who afterwards continues to bemoan a team that didn't attack.
Bravo, bravo, bravisimo. It's like posting a guy up at the 3pt line, give me a freaking break. But the players do take jumpers when the do not have to, but as you state, it's because avery isn't putting them into positions to do much more than take a jumper.

Quote:
Yes a year and more ago, this was more of a traditional team than it is now. But Avery Johnson ran off his assistant coach who designed those successful schemes, in favor of Avery's belief that he could be Nellie-Jr, and he intentionally set out to invent the next generation of Super Small Ball in Dallas, with just enough Dampier to help a bit plus smaller players in rotation spots 6-7-8-9 who would replace the starting Big Ballers with a smaller lineup that would dominate (at least in his mind).
Did he actually run del off? I'm curious about that. That should tell cubes all he needs to know.

And I agree, as is the case with many linear thinkers, he's still fighting the GSW's by continuing to try and develop a small-ball team. Meanwhile confusing the hell out of who they actually are.

Quote:
As a result, this team has become a weird stew with no particular strengths and no particular identity, inconsistent defense, and has lost everything they worked to build over the past few years. They don't know who they are or where to go to get the crunch-time baskets, and have no confidence at all in winning close hard games.
God almighty, isn't this the truth. They don't know whether they are a defensive team, an offensive team, an efficient team or a fast-break team. Yuck...

Quote:
Get a new coach who can (a) create a focused identity, and (b) has the nuts to surround himself with assistants SMARTER than himself, and this team will soar again. The talent is already here and is as motivated as it gets. But while they have someone who pushes them to play hard (and they do), they aren't getting any wisdom and direction in which direction to be pushed.

It's fixable, with THESE players. Wait and see.
I think the bench is suspect but I whole-heartedly agree with you. When avery sat kidd down in then spurts game, I've never gotten over it. When I said "inexcusable" I meant "INEXCUSABLE". Like "INEXCUSABLE", you know. I believe he should have been fired immediately, but now we are screwed for the year. Even if the team completely rebelled against ko'ach they still need a ko'ach to do anything in the playoffs.

I'm really interested in the Del Harris quote and the assistants comment. That one really needs to be explored in a column by an insider.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote