View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #29
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Someone (DLord) has come over to the dark side in a big way.

Unfortunately I'm deeply invested into the dark side of the force...
I have, too.

DLord makes perfect sense with everything he's said in this thread. Of particular interest to me are his recommendations that we: 1) play a center for at least 40-42 mpg (even if it is Magloire as the backup), 2) develop a real playoff rotation, and 3) insist that "offense only" guys like Terry and Stackhouse be played only so long as they are productive and busting their butt on defense. To each point:

1. Playing a center

This was one of the things that really won me over with Avery at the very beginning. Unlike his predecessor, he understood the value of having a real center on the floor for the vast majority of the game, even if they were mostly an offensive liability. Somewhere, somehow, that mindset changed (even though it was a big part of why this team was so successful), and the team has been the worse for it. Not only have we not played a backup center on a consistent basis, but against some teams we don't give our starting center consistent minutes.

As for Magloire, he may suck, but he's a real center, and I find it very difficult to believe that he couldn't give us 10-12 mpg behind Dampier. He can still rebound and set a screen, and he can finish around the rim.

2. Developing a real playoff rotation

We know that Dirk, Kidd, and Howard are going to (or should) play 38-42 mpg each in the playoffs. Based upon the premise in point No. 1, we know that at least 40 mpg should be going to our centers (Dampier/Magloire). That leaves only 74-86 minutes to distribute. Stackhouse and Terry are going to get at least 25-30 mpg each. That gives you a 7 man rotation and leaves 14-36 minutes to distribute. Bass and one of our swing men (preferably Wright) should get the rest of the time. Playing Juwan Howard, Malik Allen, and miscellaneous swing men serves no purpose. I could see spot duty for Lue.

3. Play scorers only when they score and bust their butt on defense.

It blows my mind that we can play Golden State and our center only gets 12 minutes in the game while "scorers" like Terry are getting huge minutes and failing to produce. The team was +12 in the 12 minutes Damp was on the floor, primarilyi because the Warriors were shooting under 30%. That's not difficult math.