View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #62
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Bullcrap...The exit strategy is and has always been to stand up the iraqi's so they can defend and govern themselves as a democracy. Same exit strategy that existed in japan, germany, korea, italy, etc.

This is where the left shows their ignorance(and hatred actually), this has never been a war for the sake of war (if so why did YOUR senator, representative vote for it). If you want to say it was ill-conceived, fine you can make a case, but when it gets into these EEEEEVVVVIIIILLLLL motives is when the left shows that they really are just unhinged.

IMO :
Oh and as aside I think it rich Axdexemo that you post this:
in defense of this one

There may be a reason someone might be calling you a brick short of a load there budda'.

But back to it: (I've posted on this many times but for those who find it difficult to look at other threads).
After 9/11 the guvment tried to determine the best way to DEFEAT this terrorist threat of Al Queda that was being brought against us. You do realize that the WTC was planned to kill not 3,000 but greater than 30,000 people. This was no bus bombing that was going on here. If someone will kill 30,000 then I think they might just as well kill 3million.

So here was a terrorist attack that cost this county many billions of dollars in commerce in one day. I've seen some estimates of 500billion dollars by the reduction of our GDP 0.5 and 1.2 percentage points. A pretty big deal in other words.

Now how to DEFEAT it and protect ourselves from a possibly even more catastrophic attack. Not bring one dude to justice, but defeat it for your progreny. Presidents of most powerful nations on earth think in longer terms than their own election and popularity.

Enter the worst case scenario, a terrorist who is smart enough to hijack 4 planes simultaenously and take out the WTC and the pentagon with another one slated for either the White House or Congress.

Sadaam was about to come out of his box, he was a known supporter of terrorist activities and the US had been at war with him for almost 8 years. Many of the pre-eminent intelligence agencies believed he had WMD. You prepare for what the enemy CAN do, not what the enemy MIGHT do. So the thought of Saddam out of his box working with Al Queda was the worst case scenario.

However...the real long-term problem with terrorism in the world is the islamic countries and their bass-ackwards cultures. The lack of religious or political tolerance in those societies. Except for turkey few democracies anywhere.

So the strategy was to do a few things:
- Give Saddam an opportunity to abide by the UN resolutions and get rid of his WMD programs, if not take him out. Dubya goes to UN, gets resolution, goes to congress, gets resolution, goes to american people, gets re-elected, etc. No coup, no deception all pretty upfront.
- Foster a democracy in the middle of the Middle East. A prosperous non-sectarian democracy. To lance the boil as it were on the middle east, to hopefully open it up to political change.
- The belief that democracy is the normal state of mankind and that people who are governing themselves (instead of a lunatic dictator) would not engage in terrorist activities against their neighbor.

So that was the plan IMO. You can argue whether it was right or wrong or way to idealistic but that was the plan. Not to grab their oil, enrich halliburtion, get back at saddam or any of that other crap.

Just to try and DEFEAT terrorism for you and your progeny and in the meanwhile free millions of people being ruled by dictators and tyrants.

I like how you ignored 100% of my post except for the last line - it shows you don't want to have an open-minded discussion about the war so much as you want to list FOXNews' latest talking points... I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

And please don't lump me in with other people you're debating because I could give a shit less about "the left" - I don't identify myself as one of those people, so don't pretend like you know my politics, ideas, or opinions just because you know theirs...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote