View Single Post
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #49
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Secondly, the fact that his father is in Iraq doesn't really weigh heavily in my opinion. Like someone else said, 30 kids, 30 possible exceptions why they need to take a phone call. It just doesn't work. The fact that the conversation is "more likely" to be his last than if his father were say, a garbage man, is just an emotional flag that the mother can waive to justify her actions. I've had several members of my immediate family that served in the last two Iraq/Gulf Wars - one of whom is no longer with me. Yet I still had enough common sense to know it wouldn't be appropriate to take a personal phone call during class.
That's you. Maybe it's not just some flag for the mother.
And you cannot run a school like this with the "zero tolerance" approach to exceptions. To say that 1 exception would mean 30 exceptions is nonsense. Talk about a meaningless flag to waive around. If that were true, then we wouldn't be using the word "exception" because it would be a blanket applied rule. You can be strict with your policies. But you can't say that just because there are 30 kids, there can be no exceptions. There are always weird and unforeseen situations that arise that deserve an exception.

Quote:
And nowhere does it say that this is the only possible time they're schedules allowed them to communicate. Only that the kid was down and needed someone to talk to.
I think the kid said in one of the articles that that was the only time the dad could call.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote