Thread: Iron Man
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson
I'll definitely give you Batman Begins, and to a lesser extent V, but I really don't think Sin City's "storyline" was anything impressive. Certainly not moreso than Iron Man's.

And isn't "really entertaining" and "fantastic performances" what you go to see when watching a movie like Iron Man? Batman is different. Batman is one of the most iconic fictional characters in history. When you see a Batman movie, especially when so many have already been made, you want the movie to be all about the character and what motivates him. A movie with a lesser-known hero like Iron Man, you go to eat popcorn and be dazzled.

Well that's just personal preference. "Seriousness" isn't necessarily a virtue when it comes to comic-based movies. In fact, that's basically why Ang Lee's "Hulk" underperformed at the box office. Light-heartedness suits a movie about Iron Man much better than the brooding, earnest tone of movies like Batman Begins or V.
I think seriousness is a virtue when it comes to comic book movies. I don't think it's ironic how the better comic movies are the ones that take themselves seriously. When it comes down to it, you got to judge a comic movie like you judge a regular movie. I think Iron Man, X2, and Spider-Man 2 took itself a lot more serious than any Marvel comic movie.

The exception to that theory are Spider-Man 1 and Hulk. Neither of those movies i think were well put together, which falls on the directors. I think both Raimi and Lee were just trying to push their own agendas rather than make a good movie, which is really unfortunate.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote