View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 AM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
Of course, you're absolutely right. I think of it like this: in the very immediate short term, the team got a psychological boost from having a new owner. But, in the long term, the "improvements" stemming from Cuban's purchase were the practical result of his willingness to spend more money than the previous regime. In the long-term, Cuban's presence itself didn't improve anything, but his money did.
I hear what you are saying. But at the same time, it's interesting to imagine how things would have panned out if a Cuban hadn't bought the team. After all, I think we can all agree that everything the Mavs have done in the 00's has been down to Dirk, and that without Dirk the Mavs could have, at best, hoped to be also-rans.

Imagine, if you will, an RC Buford and the Spurs ownership--who even owns the Spurs? Can you name him/her/them? I can't--building around a Dirk like they built around Duncan.

I guess the fact that I, as a fairly diehard NBA fan, can't tell you who owns the Spurs, with their several championship rings, tells you what I think of Cuban's contributions--and also of Dirk's.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote