View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #101
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is my little recap of his press conference:

I think he has been pigeon-holed as rigid or stiff, but maybe that is his on the court personality, but off it he comes off as very smart, and funny. His timing is pretty good and the stories and explanations are expressed VERY well.

You can tell this guy is a leader. He is confident and will do what it takes to motivate the team. I thought it was interesting he mentioned the Avery comment from today. Just a little poke or prod at the team to add some more fire to them for next year.

I think his descriptions of the team looking ahead is also a selling point to potential suitors. You wanna stress that it's going to be uptempo and energetic. Another sense of confidence by talking about that and with the core players involved, that they can win over the FAs who are on the fence.

Josh is probably going to be heavily coddled. He talked about hearing him out and seeing what Josh wants and everything. He went into detail with that for the team as a whole, but it seems like more will have to be done with him. It's a promising sign with what Cuban said about the Josh stuff.

Its a sub-plot but I really hope he keeps his coaching staff (Casey and Stotts), and doesn't lose them to head coaching roles. It sounds like they all respect each other very highly and there will be a good sense of synergy there. Everyone will be on the same page and feed off each other. That definitely hasn't been the case for a while here.

It's promising to hear that he might favor giving young'ns a chance over borderline/aging vets. It's one of his keys, to stay young and have a sense/feeling that people will be there for a while.

It does sound like they will stick with the economical plan when it comes to FAs, but he trusts Donnie and Cuban. To me, with the first interviews he seemed like he didn't need to be a part of those discussions and he had full trust of those two. But now, to me, it seems like Cuban and Donnie want his full input and he'll have a lot of say on who he wants and they'll pull the trigger on it. With all the, "let's put Rick in the best situation to succeed" talk.

I really don't know how the roster is going to look. It does sound like they will give Josh another chance and see if he can play with the chip on his shoulder that has been lost for a year or two. Either way, the back end of the roster will for sure be different. Just a matter of the middle to 2nd tier of the roster will be different.

Oh, just edited this in...he seems VERY player friendly. He will listen to the ideas and he's talking about going out of his way to Germany or North Carolina, the golf course or WHEREVER he needs to go to talk to his players and get a feel for them. I like that.

It's definitely exciting. I'm looking forward to what is ahead for our Mavericks.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 05-14-2008 at 09:20 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote