View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #108
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
because the cliche about "put players in the right position" is usually a cliche that begs the question of whether the players were in the right position but just didn't make the play.
I disagree. It's really not cliche at all. IMO, you're over thinking it. You have to put the players in the right position before they are even capable of making things happen.

To me, it comes down to this: it works or it doesn't. You can't force something that doesn't work to work. We can just stick to talking about Avery's offensive "prowess" (Defense was a whole different can of chaos). What about our offense in last years humiliation against GS was fine? Do you really think Avery brought the best out of our team in that series with his offensive set?...out of Dirk?

I personally think that Avery used something that didn't work...and not only that, but he stuck with it. That's definitely not a stretch to say because we've all seen how stubborn/stuck to his ways this man can be (i.e. dealing with Kidd, dealing with Devin, not listening to his assistants). He was a complete control freak, and in the end, it didn't work.

There are different ways to get your best player involved. An "iso" based offense is a general term. "Avery's iso based offense" isn't. The way he got his best player involved in that '07 series was destined to fail. (1) The team was distributed on the court in a way that cut off Dirk's passing lanes when he would get doubled/tripled, (2) Dirk was put in a position where it was simple for helpside to attack, (3) Dirk was put in places to be easily trapped.

All I'm getting from you is that we were helpless last year--that nobody would have been able to coach this Mavericks team to a series win against GS. I beg to differ. Putting Dirk in a position where he is easily screwed and is a non-factor is not putting a team in a position to win.

What Avery brought to the team didn't work. I don't believe in: he was "a good coach......until this year" as you seem to put it. If you're a bad coach, then you're a bad coach, and to me, he's always been a bad coach.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 05-15-2008 at 03:18 PM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote