View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 PM   #23
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

http://dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?ed...13CF92574117EF

IRVING, Texas - When the Cowboys benched their starting running back just before the playoff game in January, they did it to reward Marion Barber.

When they let Julius Jones go without a fight in free agency, they did it because of Marion Barber.

And when they drafted Felix Jones instead of Rashard Mendenhall, who many believe was rated higher on their draft board, the Cowboys also did it because of Marion Barber.

The Cowboys obviously believe Marion Barber is a huge part of their plans, not just for this year, but the future.

So why isn't he here?

Why isn't Barber here with his teammates, participating in the off-season conditioning program, or the throwing sessions every Tuesday and Thursday, which basically include every position on the field?

And he's not expected to attend next week's OTA practices either.

The question is simply, why?

And if the answer is because Barber has yet to sign his one-year restricted free agent tender of $2.561 million, then my next question is, then why not sign it?

We all know signing the tender doesn't mean anything in relation to getting a long-term deal. If the two sides can agree on a contract, they'll rip up that tender faster than anything.

But when it comes to being here, at the facility, with his teammates, setting an example for the rookies, which just so happens to include a pair of drafted running backs, Marion Barber should be here with "his" team.

And yes, I know Ken Hamlin is doing the same thing. In fact, the Cowboys slapped the franchise tag on him, and like Barber, he hasn't signed his tender, not to mention come around here at all during the off-season.

Now Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said on Wednesday that he's not worried about either player's absence so far. Rest assured, that mindset will change if the no-shows start to pile up, especially if neither player attends the mini-camp in June.

Whether they participate in the mini-camp or not, both players likely will sign their tenders by then. The Cowboys have the right to lower the tender if it's not signed by June 1.

It just doesn't make sense not to sign them before then. In case they don't get a long-term deal before the start of the season, these players need to make sure they're playing for the highest amount possible.

Barber sure would hate to see his $2.5 million tender get reduced to 2.01, if not lower.

OK, but this isn't just about money.

And that's what the players say, right? They always say stuff like, it's not about the money, it's about respect.

Well, I'm going to turn it around. If it's about respect, then why aren't these guys here respecting their teammates?

If Jerry Jones isn't worried about these two guys playing the 2008 season with the Cowboys, then to me, it means a deal WILL get done.

And if a deal is going to get done, then what's the hold-up? Get in here and show this team that you're willing to pay the price just like they are.

You have no doubt that Barber is working hard, wherever he is. Word is he's down in Miami, working out with other clients of his agent Drew Rosenhaus. His body alone will tell you about his dedication to working out.

The same goes for Hamlin, and even Terrell Owens, who has attended a few passing sessions this off-season but hasn't been a regular in the off-season program. These guys will come back in good, if not great shape.

But to me, it would seem hard to come back and have the same kind of leadership if you were out doing your own thing in the spring.

It makes me have a little more respect for a guy like Chris Canty, who like Barber and Hamlin, hasn't signed his tender either. Still, he hasn't missed a workout or practice this spring.

This isn't meant to diminish the roles that Barber and Hamlin have for this football team. But this season, with their futures somewhat uncertain, it doesn't make sense to be so far away from the team.

These guys are asking the Cowboys to give them a long-term commitment. But they don't seem too interested in making the same kind of commitment right now.

Every situation is different. With Hamlin, you know he's frustrated by the entire process of the franchise tag. Just days away from free agency for the second year in a row, he gets tagged and now must wait for his agent and the Cowboys to work out a deal. However, let's not feel too sorry for someone who is guaranteed to make $4.3 million this year.

As for Barber, here's a guy who made the Pro Bowl last year, led the team in rushing and has become one of the team's fan favorites.

But he's still not proven as a starter. Are we sure that he is the long-term answer at running back?

The Cowboys seem rather sure by drafting Felix Jones, a more elusive home-run hitting back than Mendenhall, whom the club even compared to Barber.

Jerry Jones went as far to say that having Barber allowed the Cowboys the luxury to take Felix Jones.

Instead of taking that as a compliment, it almost seems like the fourth-year running back is almost using that as a negotiating ploy against the Cowboys.

Now, for those of you who are thinking "as long as they're ready to play by training camp, or even the regular season, that's fine," I can understand that logic. In fact, Jerry Jones might not be that far off from that way of thinking, too.

But if the goal is to be here for the start of the season, and these players are working out just as hard to prepare, then why not be here, with the team?

There's probably more to it than that. There always seems to be. But let's just add that to the list of things that don't make a lot of sense.

---

Please, take care of it asap.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote