View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #6
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
Im not sure what seriously overrating DAlembert means. By including Bass with the trade or just talking about him? Im more of a DAmp hater than I am a Dalembert lover. It would be cool if you posted a link to 82games.com with the comparison for us:P
Just for grins I bet if you put a poll up on which player most people including mavs organization would want at our starting C spot it would be overwhelming favor of Dalembert.
Well if you're a "damp hater" then I have virtually no respect for you. And really who gives a rats ass what any poll would say, especially a poll from people in the Mavs organization? These people are the same geniuses who kept Avery around for another year after the Golden State fiasco. And frankly I seriously doubt the difference would be very big. If Dalembert would win such a poll it would be because he's younger, not because he's a significantly better player, because he isn't. When you throw in that they have basically the same contract, the difference between them gets even blurrier.

So when I say you're overrating Dalembert, I mean you're flat out wrong when you suggest that he's an upgrade over Dampier. They're practically the same player. I didn't post the links before because I was lazy, but since you asked, here:

Dalembert: http://www.82games.com/0708/07PHI15D.HTM
Dampier: http://www.82games.com/0708/07DAL20D.HTM

As you can clearly see, their numbers are virtually identical. They rebound at about the same rate; Dalembert's a better offensive rebounder while Damp is a better defensive rebounder. The numbers suggest that Dampier is in fact a better defender; his points allowed and FG% percentage allowed are both lower than Dalembert's. And as for scoring, their pts. per 100 possessions are in fact identical; +.9 for both players.

The point I'm trying to make is that Dalembert's higher per game averages are misleading and are only the result of the man playing more minutes. I'd wager that if Dalembert played 25 mpg, or if Damp played 32 per game, then their numbers would look almost exactly the same and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

To illustrate this, let's look at the 05-06 season, when Dalembert averaged 26.7 mpg.

PPG 7.3
RPG 8.2
APG .4
FG% .531
FT% .705
BPG 2.4
SPG .5
TO 1.62
PF 3.70

Compared to Damp's numbers this year when he averaged 24.4 mpg

PPG 6.1
RPG 7.5
APG .9
FG% .643
FT% .575
BPG 1.1
SPG .3
TO 1.1
PF 3.1

Once again, these numbers show that the two are remarkably similar players. Again, the only noticeable differences are that Dalembert is a much better shotblocker and FT shooter, while Damp has significantly better shooting percentage.

So, again, like I said, LATERAL MOVE. Dalembert is at very very best a marginal upgrade over Dampier. The only real benefit I would see to having Dalembert is that he runs the floor better and would therefore be better for a fast-breaking offense, but even after that, he's still a marginal upgrade at the most. I'm not saying Dampier is the answer for us at center, because I don't think he is. I'm just saying Dalembert isn't that guy either.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-02-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote