View Single Post
Old 06-27-2008, 12:02 AM   #45
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I have a perhaps interesting story about that. About ten years ago I worked at a place very near a major retail center. Around Christmastime the traffic got unbearable. There was a particular intersection inside a shopping center (which also housed most of the places in the area where you would go to get lunch, which I was doing) that caused a lot of problems. The incoming traffic had the right of way at the four-way stop. But at Christmastime there were so many cars at every leg of the intersection that it was just chaos. In other words, people cut off the incoming traffic all the time.

One day I was sitting at the intersection, waiting my turn to go, when an incoming red Chevy pickup truck was cut off at the pass as it tried to enter the shopping center. What did the driver do? He exited his red Chevy pickup truck and wielded a pistol at the car who cut him off.

Was that guy a licensed concealed weapon carrier? I don't know and I don't care. A traffic misunderstanding is no reason to wield a pistol. But that situation could have gone bad, and I'm not too enthused about giving idiots like that the right to carry their handgun with them all the time...

I understand that this is just one anecdote, but the point remains that not everyone will use their firearm in the way that you imagine.
Good example of a time and place when the man with the revolver is committing a crime. That man wielding that pistol/revolver in that setting can be shot himself by another person and the second shooter would be found innocent of a crime.

I agree that idiots will do dumb things. All that can be done is to punish them to the extent of the law (or shoot them in your own self defense).

The law in Texas has the phrase that says that a serious threat must be in place. The story you portrayed does not cross that threshold.

I'll tell you another story, also true.

My wife and I were driving a Mercury Grand Marquis in Arkansas. Traffic was heavy on an interstate. An idiot Redneck in a Bubba pickup truck was dodging in and out of traffic when there was no where to go ahead. It was a parking lot. I was driving the Mercury. The idiot pulled up next to us and tried to cut me off and pull in front of me. I pushed forward and he had to either 1)stop or 2)strike me.
He chose to stop. He then pulled a revolver out and pointed it at my wife.
I swerved that Mercury into him and gave him two more choices: 1)I hit him and drive him into the ditch or 2)He goes into the ditch of his own accord.
He went into the ditch of his own accord and rolled his truck.

I have no patience for idiots.

Had I been present at the scene of your story, I would have likely shot the idiot myself because he was posing a serious risk/threat to innocents with the gun in his hand.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote