View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92bDad
Wow, this is one of the better articles that I have read regarding the issues of Energy and Transportation.

Personally, I am in HUGE favor of moving to more electricity as our main source of Transportation Energy. In other words, moving to electric cars.

However, I also understand that the transition for us consumers will take time. If for no other reason, that we have a picture in our mind of the old electric box car from the 70's and we don't truly see the vision of where Electric Power is today and where it can go tomorrow.

I like the idea of part Electric part Gas automobile. Some of us, have a need to be able to travel more than 100 miles at a time, or in a day. But there are some days that we would be under the 100 mile mark and thus could get around without using a drop of gasoline.

Hey if my $400 per month electric bill went up to $500 because of an electric car, but my $800 per month gasoline bill went down to $400 per month...then I would be saving $300 per month!!!

Not to mention, I would be doing my part by burning cleaner energy.

The key is for the Designers to build cars and trucks that meet our desire to have good strong transportation. Tesla Motors has the right idea, starting off with a nice little roadster. I understand that they are making plans for a nice Sedan and later some type of SUV.

We in Texas like our Trucks, our V-8's...we like power to hauld, we like power for speed...the electric car can also do these things, but in a different way.

Hey if the old Reel-to-Reel has been reduced to a device that can fit in the palm of my hand, then why are we not focused on developing better cars/trucks that truly tap into the American Innovative Spirit by going Electric?

Honestly, this is something that I can actually See Republicans and Democrats working together and providing solutions to all.

The folks who could be hardest hit, if they don't act pro-actively are those associated with the Gas/Oil industry. But if they jump in NOW, they can be a part of the solution, maintaining huge profits and helping transform America and the world well into the future.
I don't know when it will be allowed to happen, but I think this will be the future technology.

Eventually cars will run basically indefinitely just like they do now. The only difference will be that the engine will run water/biodiesel and that engine will charge batteries fast enough to allow the car to be driven wherever. They have a few prototypes in Europe that have a 300 mile range @ 70mph which take less than an hour to recharge.

Here in America, I am guessing they push Hydrogen, just so they have a way to keep billing people, instead of allowing people to plug in anywhere.

Next stage, IMO, will be hybrid cars that are plug in capable as well. Then they will add some solar to the cars so that you don't have to charge as often. Then that engine they have will be converted to power alternators only, instead of drive lines, etc so that you always run off electricity, and it is only a generator. Then they will convert the engine that can now run at a constant speed, etc, to water because it is more environmentally friendly.

The funniest part. All of this technology is already available. Some of the patents are getting bought out at an amazing rate.

So eventually you will be able to drive for 4+ hours, then take a 30 minute break while the water running generator recharges your batteries and gives you another 4+ hours of driving time.

This could happen now IF that is what the US government wanted to go to.

It won't happen right now though........too much money to be made in fossil fuels.

It will happen when the Middle East kicks all their fuel to China instead of the US. It is a bigger market, and will eventually surpass the US -- making them the global power -- until the US changes the economy again. It is already set into motion.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote