View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #86
12 Tone Melodies

12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold12 Tone Melodies is a splendid one to behold

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baske...s_N.htm?csp=34

NBA promotes ex-refs to oversee referee operations

In another attempt to promote credibility in its officiating in the wake of the Tim Donaghy betting scandal, the NBA announced the elevation of two officials Monday to supervise referee operations.
Bernie Fryer, the longtime referee and, of late, assistant director of officials and crew chief coordinator, will become the vice president and director of officials. Former referee Joe Borgia, recently manager in the league's officiating program, will become vice president of referee operations.

Fryer will be responsible for the officials' on-court actions. Borgia will run all other aspects.

The moves aim "to further the ability to oversee an increasingly complex and scrutinized part of our business," Joel Litvin, president of league and basketball operations, told USA TODAY. "It puts the program in day-to-day hands of two highly respected managers and ex-referees."

They and former referee Ronnie Nunn, who goes from director of officials to being in charge of their development, will be located in the New York headquarters, an improvement over having managers "scattered" around the USA, Litvin said.

Litvin said the moves, and the recently announced separation of referee operations from basketball operations, shows the league's seriousness about regulating its officiating. The National Basketball Referees Association had no comment.

The league is awaiting the results of former federal prosecutor Larry Pedowitz's year-long investigation into the NBA's anti-gambling efforts and its methods of monitoring and enforcement. He was appointed by the NBA to conduct the review.

The only good thing about this is that Bernie is finally off the court
I seriously doubt there will be any improvement in the quality of officiating in the NBA--in fact, I'll bet there is a further deterioration

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.
- John Adams
12 Tone Melodies is offline   Reply With Quote