View Single Post
Old 09-17-2002, 01:16 AM   #1
Super Mav

Super Mav is on a distinguished road

Ex-Mav Jones wants to return
Free-agent forward serious about playing in Dallas

09/17/2002

By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

Popeye Jones still has his membership at Frisco's Stonebriar Country Club, even though he can manage just a round or two of golf there each year.

A return visit Monday to Dallas, complete with a tour of Mavericks facilities, added to Jones' hope that his golf outings can become regular soon.

"I'm very serious about coming here," Jones said Monday night after a visit with Mavericks officials. "It's one of the top choices for me."

Jones, 32, is so serious about an interest in Dallas that the 6-8 free-agent forward said he is willing to consider a one-year deal that previously was unattractive.

"With the circumstances and wanting to live here, the interest level is high even if it's just a one-year deal," said Jones, who added he hopes to sign a contract this week. "Sometimes happiness is more important."

The Mavericks, meanwhile, have been open about their interest in Jones.

Jones' 7.0 points and 7.3 rebounds per game for Washington last season marked his most productive year since 1997-98.

Jones was with the Mavericks from 1993-96. He averaged 10.6 and 10.8 rebounds per game in his last two seasons in Dallas. He holds the Mavericks' record for rebounds in a game, 28 against Indiana on Jan. 9, 1996.

Sonics give Lewis deadline

Training camp begins in two weeks, but Dallas is in no hurry to rush signings. That includes no pressuring of Rashard Lewis, the coveted Seattle free agent.

Lewis, however, is not facing such a generous proposition from the Sonics, who have issued a Wednesday deadline for Lewis' decision on their $60 million offer.

Though I would love to have Rashard added to the Mavs line up, I would love to see Popeye in a Mavs jersey too. Popeye is a proven rebounder someone the Mavs desperately need, while Rashard is a young and up coming star. Do you guys think the Cuban can get his hands on both players? If so, do you think Popeye would be happy to play off the bench? I can't wait to see what this week will unfold.

Also...Popeye is one ugly fool.
Super Mav is offline   Reply With Quote