View Single Post
Old 08-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #107
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
who says you can't penetrate against a zone? Keep in mind that a zone basically a man to man on the ball so if you can beat the man in front of you, you can get in the lane. And penetration tends to be more damaging to a zone than a man to man.

After Paul's drive and dish to Lebron in the second half Doug Collins made the point that it's next to impossible go keep Paul out of the lane.
Just going by what I have seen so far. And Paul making a pass to LeBron hasn't changed the fact that Paul is having a tougher time getting into the lane. And with his inability to shoot outside, he hasn't been a great point guard out there.

Quote:
Yet he just averaged 12 assists a game. I get your point that players like Isiah and Paul create passing opportunities with their offense but 12 assists is 12 assists. You don't put up those kinds without seeing the floor.
Andre Miller once put up 11 assists a game. He still doesn't have the vision of Kidd who has never averaged that. And I'm not saying Paul is Andre or vice versa. But what I am saying is assists aren't the end all with passing.

With LeBron, Kobe, Wade dominating the ball and the point guard is only used for getting into the offense, USA neds a guard who can pass quickly, sees the floor quickly, isn't afraid to guive it up. Paul isn't like that. He can pass, but it comes from dribbling a ton. He doesn't see it off the bat like Kidd.

Quote:
Kidd does a great job of getting he ball up the floor to ignite the break. Unlike a lot of PG's he doesn't always feel the need to bring up up himself of there's a better option ahead. Still, it's a bit of an exaggeration to say that we rarely have to run half court offense when he's in the game. Plus, just like in the NBA, good teams will do a better job of limiting your fast break opportunities.
It isn't a coincidence that the US has blown other team's out with Kidd in the game, and has lost leads repeated with Paul or Deron in the game. And that goes back to the fast break. The USa puts on those runs when they rebound, steal and kick it ahead for dunks. Those happen a lot more with Kidd in the game. That isn't an exaggeration.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote