View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #379
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
That's reasonable. But I guess I'd like to hear more about the idea of a candidate staying strong against something that hurts him politically. We do have a respresentative democracy here in the US. That means that our congressmen represent us, and so does our president. The way I see it, a president that acts in consistent opposition to the will of the people is a dangerous man indeed, and certainly not what the people bargained for when they elected him.
True...I seem to remember one Abe Lincoln who had the same problem however. Issues of war and peace and geopolitics are tough and by definition the populace isn't the best informed.

Of course with respect to dubya and the war (I guess is the inference) that was the will of the people as evidenced by votes of congress and his re-election.

Drilling, tax breaks for seniors aren't quite a tough an issue, they usually fall pretty easily along core beliefs and the party's beliefs.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote