View Single Post
Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #335
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Obviously (could teachers carry concealed handguns in schools before?)
Don't limit your view to only Texas. As I said before, Utah allows concealed handguns on college campuses. This article was talking about grade school, I know. But the point is there are schools in this country that already allow concealed weapons.

Quote:
And the answer to my question is: kids massacre classmates with their PARENTS' GUNS...
Agree. They also massacre classmates with stolen guns, acquired from a home other than their own. But I would agree the majority are guns acquired at home.

However, consider Columbine. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In the months prior to the attacks, Harris and Klebold acquired two 9 mm firearms and two 12-gauge shotguns. A rifle and the two shotguns were bought in what was perhaps a straw purchase in December, 1998 by a friend, Robyn Anderson, who had purchased the shotguns at the Tanner Gun Show in December, in private sales from individual(s). Harris and Klebold later bought a handgun from a friend, Mark Manes for $500. Manes was jailed after the massacre for selling a handgun to a minor, as was Philip Duran, who had introduced the duo to Manes.
NO guns from parents there.

Quote:
(which means proper handgun EDUCATION -- not more guns, or bans -- is probably the best solution to the problem...)
Yes, and I take great care to educate my children, and keep the guns and ammo locked up.

Quote:
['cause it ain't the NRA members' kids shooting up schools, nor is it realistic to ban all handguns, but school shootings happen a lot more often in the suburbs than they do in the ghetto...]
To say "school shootings happen a lot more often in the suburbs than they do in the ghetto" implies they happen all the time. School shootings aren't all that common and frequent. How many school shootings have we had in Colorado? After Columbine it can be said "school shootings happen a lot more often in the suburbs than they do in the ghetto", because 1 is more than 0. There was another one in 2006. So after that one, the score in Colorado is 2-0. Of course there may be others, but I couldn't find any in my 1 minute google search.

From the same Wikipedia article I quoted above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbi...chool_massacre

Quote:
In May 2002, the Secret Service published a report that examined 37 U.S. school shootings. They had the following findings:

Incidents of targeted violence at school rarely were sudden, impulsive acts.

Prior to most incidents, other people knew about the attacker’s idea and/or plan to attack.

Most attackers did not threaten their targets directly prior to advancing the attack.

There is no accurate or useful "profile" of students who engaged in targeted school violence.

Most attackers engaged in some behavior prior to the incident that caused others concern or indicated a need for help.

Most attackers had difficulty coping with significant losses or personal failures. Moreover, many had considered or attempted suicide.

Many attackers felt bullied, persecuted or injured by others prior to the attack.

Most attackers had access to and had used weapons prior to the attack.

In many cases, other students were involved in some capacity.

Despite prompt law enforcement responses, most shooting incidents were stopped by means other than law enforcement intervention

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote