View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #364
jefelump

jefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to alljefelump is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
How about we rely on them for law enforcement?
Yes, law enforcement is their job. And the article also noted the sheriff's office was 30 minutes away. Unless there's an officer close by, that school is on it's own for a half hour after the 911 call. That is the crux of the problem. That is the main reason the school district is even considering the change in policy. Is that so hard to understand?

Quote:
How about we allow teachers to teach?
Yes, we allow the teachers to teach. That is their job. And while they have a classroom full of students, they are responsible for that classroom. While school is in session, the school principal is responsible for everyone in that building. Why do you think schools nowadays lock the doors? If I want to go see my kids at school, I have to be "buzzed" in by the front office, and then the only place I can go is the office to explain why I'm there, show ID, and get a visitor pass. And then once I'm past the office, many classroom doors are locked. I wonder why? Security concerns perhaps?

Quote:
"Personal responsibility" obviously means different things to me.

Let me this get this straight.

If I'm a teacher that doesn't want to carry a weapon in the classroom, my issue is that I'm refusing to accept enough responsibility.....enough personal responsibility.
Your words, not mine. I'm simply stating that if I were a teacher in that school, I would not rely on the sheriff who is 30 minutes away. If I were permitted to carry (by law, and by the school district), then I would. If you choose not to carry, that's your choice and right. You can lock the doors, or do whatever else you deem appropriate and within your own comfort level. I'm not saying at all that choosing not to carry is irresponsible. Don't try to put words in my mouth. The premise of your comment is that as a teacher, all you have to do is teach, and let someone else worry about the other "minutia".

Quote:
If that's your frame of mind, I don't think we have enough common ground to hold a decent discussion.
Every gun-related tangent on this thread has come down to two groups of people: those who believe in the use of force for self protection (and the protection of others), and those who don't. We have talked about the burglars coming out of the neighbors house. We have talked about the DC gun ban. We have talked about this school district's proposed change in policy. It's no surprise to me that you and I have consistently been on opposite sides of these discussions. If you think we're just wasting time here because of a lack of "common ground", then you're welcome to withdraw from the discussion.

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

'Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,'
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
jefelump is offline   Reply With Quote