View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #32
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
If you have such disdain for social policies, then why do you support them?
who says I have disdain for them? I'm just perfectly willing to say that I was living off the public dole, and off a redistribution of wealth as a student, and that I am benefitting from that now, as I enjoy the benefits of my public education. I'm trying to work out whether there would be a better way, though.

Quote:
That wasn't the question. But I'm guessing you already knew that.
but that is the answer. Why should I pay for you not to sling taco meat?

Quote:
Everything? Are we having a discussion about everything? The only thing I've mentioned in this thread is subsidized education.
yah, and it sounded like your rationale was that it helps your neighbor.

Quote:
And why the sudden disconnect between my "neighbor" and the "government"? A few posts ago they were one and the same.

Are you asking me if I think people should share in the costs of goods and services that they ultimately benefit from?
I never said your neighbor and the government were the same. If I were to try to line it up, I'd say your neighbors fund the government, but that the government is more than your neighbors, and takes a huge chunk off the top of everything they do. And I'm asking you (well, a set of people in this thread) to come up with a better argument than, "nyah, nyah, public redistribution of wealth is evil, unless some of it comes my way for things I want."
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote