View Single Post
Old 08-28-2008, 11:42 PM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Why (I take from the tone of your response) are we operating under the assumption that Barrack can help them more than McCain can?
Well, that's the question that we need to answer in this election. But this is a shift for you. You have earlier argued that no one needs any "help," or has any right to it.

What I am saying is that it isn't about Flacolaco who has the good fortune (God bless Texas) of living in a state with a thriving economy. It's about the people in places like Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania who don't enjoy the same economic situation that we enjoy. We could explore why their situation is so different from ours, but that would miss the point.

The point is that we are talking about a national campaign, which includes the Michigans and the Ohios and the Pennsylvanias just as well as it includes Texas. Texas is doing well. What can we do to prop up the others?

That's the fundamental question in this campaign, and it seems to be one that we don't see eye to eye on. You know that it's good for you here--which is great, to be sure--and you thus surmise that it should be great for everyone. But people in other states don't necessarily have the same opportunities that you have. If you had to move to Detroit to enjoy the same standard of life that you enjoy now, would you be okay with that?

I'm just saying...I know it's good for Texans...but it's a national election, and for a lot of other states, it's not so good for the people there.

That is the battleground the election is being waged upon. It can't be simplified into "Texas terms" as you would like for it to be.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote