View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #1191
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default daily fluff

Chance For Redemption
Crayton Itching To Start New Season After '07 Finish

link

IRVING, Texas - Every season of his career, he's gotten better.

Last year, he set personal-highs in receptions with 50, easily topping the 36 he caught the year before.

But as he enters Sunday's regular season as the Cowboys' No. 2 wide receiver, Patrick Crayton said he isn't focused on the half-hundred balls he caught in 2007, but rather on two specific incomplete passes from last year's playoff loss to the Giants.

Those two passes that weren't caught have driven Crayton all off-season.

"It's still eating at me," Crayton said of last year's loss. "I won't get a chance to get rid of that feeling . . . it will start in Cleveland. It will be a process until we get to our destination."

The destination is the Super Bowl, of course.

And the reason the Cowboys didn't make it there last year, despite a 13-3 regular-season record and home-field advantage in the playoffs, was because they couldn't get past the Giants, the eventual winner.

Crayton knows he was involved in at least one of the pivotal plays down the stretch.

The usually sure-handed receiver had a key drop on the final play of the third quarter that would've given the Cowboys a first down and extended a drive. Instead, the Cowboys were forced to punt, which was returned 25 yards, leading to the Giants' eventual go-ahead and game-winning score.

"It's unfortunate that it happens like that," Crayton said. "But there's nothing you can do. You just have to learn from it and get better."

Crayton also knows he was blamed for an incomplete pass on the Cowboys' final drive against the Giants in which he hesitated before darting up the field, allowing Tony Romo's pass to sail over his head with less than a minute to play.

However, changing the route in the middle of the play requires perfect timing. Without dodging the criticism, Crayton said he doesn't worry about that play. Although it could've given the Cowboys the lead, he knows miscommunication is common in the wild scramble of a two-minute offense.

But nonetheless, Crayton has heard the criticism. From the plays in last year's Giants game to simply not being flashy enough, for some reason Crayton doesn't seem to satisfy the fans, the media, and maybe even more than that.

He knows the Cowboys had some minor interest in acquiring a big-name receiver such as Roy Williams, Anquan Boldin or even Chad Johnson in the off-season. But none of those receivers were ever seriously on the trading block and nothing materialized.

Plus, he knows the Cowboys have confidence in his ability. If they didn't, they would've drafted a receiver in one of the seven rounds this past April. They would've added some kind of veteran receiver, if not overpaid for one of the aforementioned receivers.

And they might not have parted ways with Terry Glenn just before the start of camp. In fact, Cowboys' owner and general manager Jerry Jones said this past summer that having Glenn might have even halted the progress of Crayton last year.

So he knows the Cowboys have his back. As for the rest of his critics, mainly the ones pushing for the club to sign another receiver, he shrugs it off.

"You laugh at it, really," Crayton said. "If they're not in this organization, tell me how you know what we need? You use it a little bit. But really, if it's being said around the league, if another player says that, then maybe you look at that. But not a TV analyst or something.

"You're judged by your peers in this league. Your game is judged by what you do against competition and the best players in the world. That's how you're put in your stacking order."

But while it seems Crayton doesn't focus on any negativity from the media, he certainly hasn't given them much material here in training camp. From a consistency standpoint, Crayton was a solid rock during camp and the preseason games, and his teammates believe he's ready to make that next step here in 2007.

"We've always looked at Patrick as a big part of what we're doing," tight end Jason Witten said. "Patrick goes in as the No. 2 receiver every week. I think he's gained a lot of respect, not just from the staff, but the players. I think he knows his role. And he's been up for every challenge they've put in his face."

Among Crayton's current challenges is to stay healthy. Aside from the team's two starters, Crayton and Terrell Owens, the Cowboys have been jolted by injuries at receiver during the preseason.

As a result, Sam Hurd and Miles Austin will not play Sunday in Cleveland, leaving the Cowboys with just Isaiah Stanback as the third receiver, and even he is banged up, having to wear a harness on his shoulder.

The Cowboys will likely sign a receiver from the practice squad, presumably Mike Jefferson, before they take off for Cleveland on Saturday.

"We're hurting right now, but we just have to get through it," Crayton said. "We have confidence in the young guys to step up. We're going to run our same offense and execute the same plays.

"We could sit here and give excuses that we're down two guys. But that's not the case. We'll never sit here and give excuses. Someone has to step up and keep it going. You can't worry about things you can't control."

That's a lesson he has figured out this off-season.

Phillips Undecided On Newman's Status For Opener

Although Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman has participated in every practice since returning 10 days ago from a slight groin tear, head coach Wade Phillips said he's remaining "cautious" with Newman and hasn't fully decided whether he'll be active for Sunday's regular-season opener at Cleveland.

"No, I won't definitely say he'll play. It looks good for him right now," Phillips said Thursday. "But we'll see where he is tomorrow."

Phillips said he continued limiting Newman's workload this week because he didn't feel the Pro Bowl corner was "completely back yet" from the injury he suffered on July 28, the fourth day of training camp in Oxnard, Calif.

Newman missed all four preseason games but returned to practice last week leading up to the finale against Minnesota. If he doesn't play or is limited Sunday, fully-reinstated Adam Jones would start at left corner and rookie Orlando Scandrick would move into the slot in nickel packages.

Phillips exercised similar caution with Newman last season upon his return from knee tendinitis and a partially torn plantar fascia. Newman missed the first two games, worked strictly in the nickel the following week and moved back into a starting role in Week Four when Anthony Henry sprained his ankle.

The Cowboys had less confidence in their corner depth then. This year, Phillips has more options with Jones, Scandrick and first-round pick Mike Jenkins.

"Last year, we played (Newman) only a few plays in the game - only in nickel," Phillips said. "Then the next game we played him a little bit more. It could be that situation. Or it might be that he plays the whole game. I don't have a feel for it yet. We'll see how he did after today's practice and if we're going to limit him some tomorrow or not. That's where we are."

Davis Voted Captain One Day After Return

Every now and then during training camp and preseason, a Cowboys player would mention they missed Keith Davis' production and leadership on special teams.

The players showed just how much Thursday, electing Davis their special teams captain by an "overwhelming" margin one day after he re-signed with Cowboys, according to head coach Wade Phillips.

"It's credibility," Phillips said. "Guys were around him last year, and I think those were the people that voted for him. But it was almost everybody."

Davis, who held the same title in Dallas last season, signed a two-year deal with the Dolphins back in March. When Miami released him last week, the Cowboys didn't hesitate to pursue his services.

Phillips decided to name multiple offensive captains (quarterback Tony Romo, tight end Jason Witten, wide receiver Terrell Owens, running back Marion Barber) and defensive captains (linebacker Greg Ellis, safety Ken Hamlin, linebacker Bradie James) because the voting was so close. The captains will rotate the pre-game coin toss duties throughout the season.

"We always say we'll have one captain or two," Phillips said. "But this is what the team voted, so that's what we're doing."

Zach's Back

Having missed only 13 games in his first 11 NFL seasons, linebacker Zach Thomas isn't accustomed to being a "cheerleader." But an early-season concussion and migraines stemming from an October car accident forced him to miss 11 games last year.

Thomas will make his regular-season return Sunday with a different team and the same approach - block out the critics that question his durability and just make tackles.

"It's understandable that I'm going to have that label," said Thomas, the Cowboys' starting weak inside linebacker. "I missed 11 games last year. Even when I get up slow sometimes they might think it. I'm fine with that. It's about going the whole year."

Thomas said he draws motivation from free safety Ken Hamlin, who suffered a serious head injury in 2005, but returned healthy and earned his first Pro Bowl selection last season after initially signing a one-year deal with Dallas.

As he enters his 13th season, Thomas works around the clock to maintain a mental edge. He said he schedules a weekly 90-minute session inside a hyperbaric oxygen chamber, a recuperative method made famous by teammate Terrell Owens.

"I feel clear - I don't know if it's because you're getting more oxygen. I needed that when I was in school," Thomas joked.

Learning Curve

Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips maintained he hasn't finalized his 45-man game-day roster, but newly-acquired guard Montrae Holland said the coaching staff informed him that he would back up both guard spots against the Browns.

Holland, who arrived last Friday in a trade with Denver, said he's quickly picking up the Cowboys' offensive system, which differs greatly from the Broncos' zone-blocking scheme. Cory Procter will start at left guard Sunday in place of Kyle Kosier (foot).

Holland began his career with the Saints and said the Cowboys' scheme has some similarities.

"Some of the terminology I can remember from New Orleans," Holland. "Denver is totally different. We only had a couple plays.

"It's coming fast for me. The coaches are doing a great job preparing us."

Short Shots

Cowboys guard Kyle Kosier (foot), linebacker Anthony Spencer (knee) and wide receivers Miles Austin (knee) and Sam Hurd (ankle) did not practice again on Thursday. None are expected to play in Sunday's opener. Head coach Wade Phillips said Kevin Burnett (knee) practiced again without limitation and should be ready to play . . . Phillips said offensive coordinator Jason Garrett will go by feel in determining how many touches rookie running back Felix Jones gets Sunday. He did reiterate that Jones and cornerback Adam Jones would return kickoffs.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote