View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #26
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote: (wmbwinn)
Guns will be obtained illegally by those who are criminal. Period.

Did Prohibition remove the access to alcohol? Do the laws against meth and crack remove access? The answer is a resounding Hell NO.

Quote: (Mavdog)
which is saying that we shouldn't attempt to restrict access to guns because people will just ignore the law just like people ignored prohibition and use illegal drugs.

so your argument is society shouldn't use laws to influence behavior as people violate the law everyday.

if you don't want to be saddled with a statement, don't make it...but you did, and you are.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

We should not restrict access to guns other than reasonable issues such as the criminal background check and mental health background check.

Yes, I am saying that honest law abiding persons should be allowed to own guns.

No, laws should remain to influence behavior. But... If I tell my son "no, don't do that or I will ground you to your room this weekend" and then my son does it anyway and my wife comes along and says, "well, stay in your room for 6 hours" and then my babysitter comes along and says, "you have behaved well and you can come out now after 2 hours", then...
that program won't alter my son's behavior...

I like the saddle I'm riding in.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote