View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 02:54 PM   #88
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavdog
downs? where do you come up with that? surprising as you say you're in medicine.

the typical D&X procedure is not done due to a down syndrome fetus, as the test done most commonly to determine downs is amniocentesis. amnio is done typically in the second trimester, so terminating the pregnancy at that stage doesn't involve D&X.

the D&X is prevalent when a fetus with hydrocephalus is discovered. a fetus with hydocephalus can have a head enlarged 20x the normal. a woman cannot vaginally deliver that size a baby without damage or death to her. and the fetus doesn't reach consciousness, although it could be "alive".

the american college of obstetricians and gynecoligists said in 1997 that "an intact D&X.... may be the best or most appropriate procedure in a particular circumstance to save the life or preserve the health of a woman, and only the doctor, in consultation with the patient, based upon the woman's particular circumstances can make this decision."

I say let's listen to the doctors who know most about the subject. they clearly disagree strongly with your conclusion.
Like I implied/stated earlier, we are talking about the gunshow loophole. We are talking about a small number of appropriate procedures.

I am not an OB/Gyn as I stated earlier.

Nonetheless, we still have the debate about whether the unborn child is a person with civil rights. We don't euthanize Hydrocephalic persons on this side of the uterus.

I will grant that you came up with an example of when a partial birth abortion might be the best procedure. In other words, I will admit that I was wrong and did not think of that example. So, I said I was wrong.

Nonetheless, we are stlil left with the debate about when a fetus gets rights as a person. That is the debate behind the reason why Obama would not vote for the bill demanding life saving efforts for a baby born alive despite a doctor's best effort to kill it...

After we finish debating partial birth abortion, we still have to acknowledge that the vast majority of abortions occur for "personal choice, my uterus/my decision" type reasons. Those are not medically necessary and have nothing to do with the "health of the mother" other than the fact that all these procedures have a doctor's note saying it was done for the "psychological health of the mother".

rmacomic's abortion had nothing to do with medical necessity.

In my opinion, the last remaining significant civil rights battle in the USA is the fight for the rights of the fetus and the debate about what legal decision authority a man has in the issue of the fetus (as it is genetically half his).

That civil rights battle is tremendous...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote