View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #151
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Link
Neiman Marcus selling a piece of Dallas Cowboys history

09:36 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 8, 2008

By MARIA HALKIAS / The Dallas Morning News
mhalkias@dallasnews.com
IRVING – In a double-Dallas dose of over-the-top shopping, this year's Neiman Marcus Christmas Book features the ultimate Cowboys fan fantasy gift.

All 530 square yards of one of the end zones at Texas Stadium comes with a season-end party attended by the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders and more – for a mere $500,000.

Neiman Marcus' holiday gifts, unveiled Tuesday at Texas Stadium, are as opulent as ever, as the retailer faces its toughest holiday since 9/11, when it canceled the press event. It recently reported a fiscal fourth-quarter loss that was more than double the year-ago loss.

But for the holiday, Neiman Marcus is doing what it does best by offering glitz and glamour even if the economy suggests otherwise.
Luxury retail is being hit hard as wealthy shoppers retrench in the wake of the stock market's plunge, declining real estate values and layoffs on Wall Street. Its wealthiest customer may be more cautious, but she isn't trading down, said Neiman Marcus chief executive Burt Tansky during last month's earnings call.

"We're staying focused on what we do best," said Ginger Reeder, Neiman Marcus vice president of corporate communications, whose job also includes choosing the fantasy gifts. "We all need a break, something to make us smile."

Fantasy catalog gifts don't always sell, but they keep alive the catalog legend that started in the 1950s, when Stanley and Edward Marcus started picking his-and-hers gifts to brag about on national TV.

The 2008 his-and-hers gift is life-size likenesses of the buyers in Legos for $60,000 apiece.

A limited edition 2009 BMW Individual 7 Series sedan plus a vacation on the French Riviera, together for $160,000, is expected to sell out. Only 31 of the cars will be sold, representing the years that BMW has been in the U.S. In previous years, it sold 50 to 200 of the various limited-edition autos.

Although the Christmas catalog remains a huge marketing tool, the Internet has overshadowed the company's catalog business in recent years. Neiman will send out 1.6 million catalogs this year, compared with 1.8 million in 2007. Paper and mailing costs savings are offset by free shipping offers.

This year, the under-$100 gifts have been left out of the Christmas Book. They will be included in a smaller catalog as a cost-saving move, Ms. Reeder said. Since 2001, catalog sales have declined from $350 million to $200 million, while Internet sales rose from zero to more than $500 million.

The Dallas Cowboys are playing their last season at Texas Stadium before moving to their new stadium in Arlington. After the final game, crews will cut out the artificial turf end zone, roll it up and install it in the purchaser's yard, where the bravado and touchdown dancing can commence.

The other end zone is being sold in pieces. For those with end zone envy, Neiman Marcus will put some bright blue turf in a framed collage and sell it as part of a limited edition of 380, to celebrate 38 seasons – and seven NFL championships – at Texas Stadium.

Anybody have a spare half-mil lying around? (Hope this wasn't posted yet.)

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."

Last edited by ty; 10-09-2008 at 12:15 PM.
ty is offline   Reply With Quote