Thread: The WNBA
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2002, 06:28 AM   #11
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good point about the role models, Joey. Females should learn basketball. But we're talking about my very precious tv air time. I like to watch womens tennis because when I imagine a mixed bracket, I honestly dont know if a man or women will win the tournament. I'm sure it hasn't always been that way, and perhaps air time has always been directly related. Other women's sports, when based on speed, bear enough resemblence to the better men's competition (what's a couple of seconds when you watch two people try to go faster than each other?) to retain entertainment value, and when based on grace, are qualitatively different enough to carry value under their own merit (women have uneven bars, men parallel).

Basketball is different. There are fundamental and valuable basketball skills that are missing in the women's game. If you saw men do the things women do (not dunk on a putback, not jump up to the rim to grab a rebound) you'd put them on the bench. If you had a team of men that never did those things, no one would watch them. Maybe someday, like in tennis, women's skills will reach the men's. But until then, I'd rather have Simpson's reruns - or better yet, more of the better basketball talent on the air.

And Chuck Norris is hardly second rate UL. He is one of the most well respected, decorated and successful martial artists in history.

no doubt about his credentials. But if I'm watching a martial arts movie, I know Bruce Lee is better. If watching the badass vet movie, I know Rambo is better. Don't get me started on the tough-guy acting. Chuck Norris is an awsome guy, who's probably done more in his life than I ever will. But as an entertainer, he's nonetheless (at best) second best in a lot of things.

Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote