View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future
Default Dallas Mavericks' Antoine Wright getting a shot

Quote:
IRVING – In the NBA, opportunity never knocks when you want it to. It makes you wait.

It arrives after getting slapped around a few times, after being told that you can't do something and after it seems like everybody else gets a chance.

Then, somewhere along the line, players usually get a chance. Antoine Wright knows.

Wright, a former Texas A&M standout, is like a lot of players who are drafted in the middle of the first round or later. Most everybody drafted above him was expected to be a star or starter, at the least.

Players in Wright's category have to make a case that they deserve a chance – then capitalize when it comes. He's put in three years and is on the verge of getting a chance.

"A lot of times, younger players come into a situation where there's opportunity on a lower team," assistant coach Terry Stotts said Monday. "Being on a championship-caliber team, it's very difficult for young players to get that opportunity.

"I look back at Michael Redd in Milwaukee. He played 35 minutes as a rookie – six games and 35 minutes. So the thing for those younger guys is attitude, the willingness to improve and then to take advantage of it. And right now, there's an opportunity [for Wright]. Who knows how things will progress. But he's in a position to take advantage."

Wright, a 6-7 guard who can also play small forward, has started two of the first three preseason games. His youth and defense are what make him a viable option at that spot opposite Jason Kidd in the backcourt. He's not going to score like Jerry Stackhouse. He's not going to add veteran skills like Devean George. He's not going to shoot like Jason Terry.

But he defends well and does enough other things well enough that he may be the best option in the starting five.

"I'm really not penciled in yet – there's always an eraser," Wright joked. "Right now, I'm just trying to secure this position. There's still a lot left to do. But I feel good about it right now.

"[Defense] is what's going to keep me out there. Making shots, we got a lot of guys who can make shots. The most important thing is to have some presence on that end and be somewhat of a pest. That will keep me out there."

Mario Elie, another of the assistants, knows all about fighting to climb the NBA ladder. He put in time in the minor leagues and finally played his way into a spot on a championship team – three times.

He knows it's not easy making it in the league. There's always somebody looking to take your job.

"It's tough, but that's what's good about it," Elie said. "If you want to be an NBA player, this is the pressure you got to deal with. You're vying for playing time. And he sees an opportunity that usually doesn't come along on a good team."

Fore! The Mavericks were out of their element Monday. Tall, lanky athletes aren't natural golfers, but they were taking a stress-free day on the course to take part in the Mavs' Masters sponsor tournament at Hackberry Creek Country Club in Irving.

As usual, the best-dressed golfer award was a toss-up between Stackhouse and Erick Dampier.

Briefly: The Mavericks will get back on the practice court today before heading to Indiana for Wednesday's exhibition.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.30b936e.html
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote