View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 02:13 PM   #108
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I think that when you think it through, you need to think about the mechanism to which you are granting the power. I think the mass of uncoordinated individuals is a lot less corruptable than a government (or some church or whatever). Today it's just a bit more of richer people's money, tomorrow its your bread.

you can always go out and give more money directly. And you can always go out and convince others to give more money directly. I think those are better ways than giving someone else the responsibility to force us to give as much money as that someone else wants us to give.
I hear most of what you're saying (corruptibility, efficiency) except I think I think we have the ability to change the mechanism, where you don't seem to (I may be wrong).

If government is ineffective, people will push it out. Regardless of our individual perceptions, that is what appears to be happening right now (the current mechanism is in the process of getting fired).

And yes, I can always go out and give money (and time) directly, and I do, and it is probably the most efficient spend of my personal resource but this is where I think the whole may be greater than the sum of its parts: too many contradicting, overlapping and unrelated energies being expended to really improve quality of life for the whole nation.

I'm still not sure if government can do it but we're discussing as if they can.

watch your thoughts, they become your words

Last edited by rabbitproof; 10-15-2008 at 02:15 PM.
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote