View Single Post
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM   #128
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitome22
Works best for who? I don't want my government reduced to some libertarian utopian's dream of a nightwatchman's state. I want my government taking an active role in the provision of public goods and promoting the general welfare, just like it does in every other rich, successful country. And Federalist government is a very inefficient way of doing that.
I too think government has more to do than just being a booth ref. But which goods are public goods? Are all goods public goods? And what is the general welfare? Physical? Moral? Both? More? And what specifically should these physical/moral/other welfare points be? I think in trying to answer these questions, the shades of conservative and liberal government have been more traditionally etched.

Quote:
The healthcare system in this country is busted but we don't need a MORE market baased healthcare system. Market oriented healthcare is dead. Let us read it's last rights and move onto something better.
Have we seen something better that we'd like to move towards? I'm hearing disturbing things about other systems. I myself waffle between private and public health care because I hear about the existing problems in our already pseudo-public hospitals from my friends and family who work there.... and I see my mom trying to figure out how to get insurance for herself.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote